Analysis: Surveillance Camera SystemsIbeyonde
Disadvantages of current surveillance camera systems
At present, CCTV based surveillance is a commodity. IP Camera based monitoring is principally limited to home use. With the widespread installation of CCTV cameras that generate an overwhelming amount of video footage, it is becoming more and more challenging to analyse the data in case of an event. Due to this, there is an increased focus on intelligent systems that can help in uncovering events more quickly. Many companies have been mushrooming that provides intelligent video analysis from the live feed or by analysing the stored footage. Companies are also trying to build an end to end solution that is more intelligent, flexible and dynamic.
The fragmented digital video surveillance industry
The digital video surveillance value chain presently is fragmented and contains multiple layers. This is demonstrated by the fact that there are so many different kinds of players, large and small, from security businesses to IT firms to telcos all wanting a pie of this business. Cloud Cameras are evolving to fill in this gap. Still, they are not powerful enough to cater to various use cases. There are companies specialising in analysing video for specific purposes like application for retails, monitoring hardware infrastructure etc.
Next-generation of surveillance
We see a transition from passive CCTV surveillance to more proactive video surveillance systems. These systems are networked, intelligent, multi-camera aware, co-operative grids with integrated situation awareness of dynamic and complex scenes, be it a wide area like an urban centre or indoor campuses like shopping malls. The core of such a system is a smart combination of intelligent filtering at the edge that is followed by more sophisticated feature extraction, reasoning and scene understanding on the cloud. We at Ibeyonde provide kits for DIY Raspberry Pi Security Camera. Ibeyonde system combines the filtering power of edge devices with more situational aware analysis on the cloud. With intelligent edge devices, a lot of filtering and optimisation happens on edge, followed by smart analysis across grids of cameras.
Ibeyonde’s Cloud Surveillance Camera is at this exciting time focusing on the following:
- Adding more intelligence to edge devices to reduce the excessive bandwidth required for video transmission and reduces the computational load of the cloud.
- The system is user-centric, achieved by easy access and availability of the surveillance data to the user. In next-generation networks, the user is a crucial component of the feedback loop. This feedback tunes the system to assimilate knowledge and generates more relevant data.
- While various startups are focusing on a specific aspect of video analysis, we are focused on providing flexible camera API so that most of these use cases can be programmed by tech-savvy personnel. With edge intelligence combined with flexible cloud API, ibeyonde systems can be connected, for example, with access control, biometrics to create multi-model event detection possible with little configuration.
- Ibeyonde cloud runs sophisticated algorithms to make the camera grid more manageable and intelligent. It is possible to search people moving around a grid of cameras to the automatic collection of the gist of the events that happened across cameras.
- The edge devices also have provisions to add various sensors, with temperature and humidity sensor and microphone inbuilt by default.
DIY Raspberry Pi Security Camera
If you are looking forward to building your on a brilliant surveillance camera that is powered by the cloud, then you are at the right place, check out DIY Raspberry Pi Security Camera.